Sunday, January 6, 2008

Photography: An Art Form


As one might imagine, I am passionate about Nature. To be able roam this great land and observe Nature in all its magnificence is a gift beyond measure. If there were no cameras I would do it anyway. But, there are cameras so I try and share with you that which I see.
I see the natural world as one huge canvas filled with living art.

When I started out in photography, some thirty-five years ago, it was pretty much considered a science not an art. I have never wavered in my belief that, in the right hands, the camera is the equivalent of a paintbrush and every bit an art form. I continue to try and prove my point with my own camera.

The above photograph is a very simple picture of a loon floating on Pyramid Lake in Jasper National Park. From my point of view the image is not so much about the loon as it is about the water. Don’t get me wrong. Loons are incredibly beautiful creatures and their call is one of my three most favorite sounds in the wild. (The others being the howl of the wolf and the bugle of an elk.)

I don’t know if you can really see it in this photograph, you might want to view it here Canada Loon. Make it as large as you can. The color and the texture of the water make this photograph appear is if it were a painting. The rich blue and gold colors swirling on the water would often be missed by the casual observer. It is very exciting for me to be able to capture this with my camera and share it with those who appreciate the artistry of nature as I do.

©Kinsey Barnard