Saturday, January 12, 2008

Just a Relic?


Today is my 59th birthday and I am wondering if I am just a relic like this old boat I photographed at Inverness yesterday.

Granted 59 isn't very old and I am in exceptionally good health and physical condition. As I peer out from this carcass I perceive myself as the same "girl" I was at 18. However, those eyes looking at me are no doubt seeing a woman with some barnacles and rust. I am most cognizant that time is marching on and the days are flying by, as I was told they would.

What got me wondering is; I have been asked to lecture at my alma mater in February. I am just starting to formulate my talks and I am trying to remember who I was when I was college age. I suspect the students I will be addressing are much different than I at that age. Our respective sets of experiences which led us to college must be so very different. The world is so very different.

To give you an idea: When I was in college I took a computer science course. At the time we used punch cards and the computer filled up a whole room!

I haven't quite run aground yet but I am certainly starting to show some wear and tear. I'm electing to age naturally and, hopefully, accept the evolution gracefully. In some ways I hope I am like this old boat. A relic to be sure but also interesting and not without a certain charm.

© Kinsey Barnard