Saturday, September 26, 2009

OPINIONS

What is an opinion? The dictionary defines and opinion thus "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." Opinions are not arguments. Although, people forever want to argue about them.

The antonyms for opinion are "reality or truth". For the language challenged antonym means the opposite of the word in question.

What I write here on this blog are my opinions. For some reason people are constantly wanting one to defend or justify ones opinion. It simply isn't possible, by definition.

If one has a differing opinion fine and dandy and they certainly do not need to justify or defend it to me. When I read an opinion that is contrary to my own on a subject I try to take an objective look at it and see if there is anything of substance in it for me. If not I move happily along.

My purpose in writing my opinions here is not to force my ideas on others but simply to put them out there in case I might say something that resonates with one or two people. Writing thoughts down also helps to clarify things in ones own mind. If I should express an opinion that actually influences another human being to think about a subject in another light or see another side, I would find that a very satisfactory thing indeed.

Emerson wrote that to change ones opinion regularly is a very healthy thing. I think Emerson is quite correct in this. So, the opinion I write today may not be the opinion I have tomorrow. To remain pedantically married to an opinion expressed is the sign of a small and unyielding mind. I do not wish to be such a person.

The title of this blog is Musings and Memories. Musings are just thoughts that form, things that I am cogitating on at the moment. They are my feelings. I may love you today and be madder than hell at you tomorrow. Opinions are personal things. There is no right nor wrong to them and they are subject to change without notice.

If you are inclined to try and change someone's opinion I suggest you use honey instead of vinegar. Attacking people for their opinions, or trying to put them down in some way, says more about you than the person you are attacking. Now, there's an opinion that is not likely to change any time soon.

That is what I was pondering today and how I felt about it.

©Kinsey Barnard