Thursday, October 23, 2008

MAKING GOD LAUGH



There is an old saying "If you want to make God laugh, make plans". I don't know who to give credit to for that saying but I certainly think there is much truth in it. And, if there is truth in it God has been rolling on the floor laughing at me.

I recently started leaving my beloved Montana in the winter so that I could continue my quest for capturing nature at her finest and most interesting. It's not that there isn't plenty to capture here in the winter. Heaven only knows winter in Montana has it's own special beauty. The problem is traveling around it can be dangerous for a solo traveler. The roads are treacherous and quite honestly they terrify me. I found that I just wasn't getting out with my camera as much as I would like and it was beginning to frustrate me. So, I had an epiphany. I would saddle up my RV and go where the roads were clear. Last year I photographed from Cape Disappointment, Washington to San Luis Obispo, California.

Such a good and productive time did I have I started "planning" my 2008/2009 winter's junket whilst still on my 2007/2008 trek. I decided I would like to shoot the Gulf Coast and up into the Piney Woods region of Texas. I spent months collecting maps and information and plotting my course. Then Ike showed up and that was the end of any idea I could shoot the the Gulf Coast this year. That hurricane literally tore through every place I had planned to visit. I do not intend to trivialize the loss for the people who had to survive this natural disaster and my heart truly goes out to them for their loss.

Suddenly, it was the end of September and I had no place to go. I admit I am the type of person that gets a little discumbibulated when plans change late in the game. I was at a complete loss for what to do. It then occurred to me that the desert might be a likely subject for winter shooting so I started looking into Arizona. Normally, I fly by the seat of my pants and do not make reservations. I like to spend just a week or two in each location and move on to the next place. I soon learned that wasn't going to happen in Arizona. The RV parks fill up quickly. People book way in advance and for the whole winter. So, not only wasn't I going to get to take the trip I had so meticulously planned but I wasn't going to get to travel the way I like. I ended up booking two months in Tucson and two months in a place called Apache Junction which I gather is close to Phoenix.

At first I was not at all pleased with my new itinerary, a little petulant in fact. But, the more I thought about it I began to see how it just might be for the best. Over this past summer I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger. In addition to traveling to shoot I published a NEW BOOK and developed a NEW WEBSITE that did not go live until October 8th. Frankly, I was/am pretty tuckered out. Suddenly, sitting in one place started to seem not such a bad idea. Running a rig, towing a vehicle is a lot of work for one person. Every time you move there is a lot to do and a lot of responsibility.

I'm actually looking forward to this new way of doing things. And, I guess that's the lesson learned. Don't attach too much of yourself to your plans because they have a way of changing on you. And, if you look, you may find that it all turns out for the best!

The photograph above isn't really tied to this article. It's just one I recently took that I rather fancy and wanted to share. Please visit my new website. I think you will find other photographs that will give you a moments respite from this topsey turvey world. Kinsey Barnard's Fine Art of Photography

©Kinsey Barnard