Monday, March 3, 2008

Sailing Solo


I have never married, never had children and, according to society’s rules, lived an empty life. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth.

I never had children because I never married. I never married because I never found the right partner. It really was as simple as that. I would have married in a heartbeat if I had found the right man. And, believe me, I gave it the old college try!

In my day the term “Old Maid” was still quite popular. Look around you. See very many failed marriages? I honestly believe a lot of that has to do with societal conditioning and pressure. Many enter marriages simply to meet society’s expectations and avoid being seen as “damaged goods”, hopefully, not so much anymore.

That line of thinking was useful when we had a country to populate and a work force to develop. But, we’ve got all the people we can handle on this planet. Women are not dependent on men for their very survival any longer. The playing field has changed. For the better I think.

In truth I have lived a fascinating life, one that probably could not have been lived in a married state. I have loved and lost. I have had a very successful corporate career and I am now living my dream with photography as a second career.

Do I ever get lonely? Not really. Do I ever wish I had someone with whom to share the splendors that I see? Absolutely. But, I have always felt that if it were meant to be, it would. I may be crazy but I believe that this is exactly how my life was destined to be. And, I am living it without regrets. I actually, find I am far more content and at peace than many of my married counterparts. One of people’s favorite warnings is “Oh, but you’ll die alone.” Well, I have a news flash. We all die alone. No matter how many people are in the room.

Life truly is what you make it and what you make it really is up to you. Despite what people may tell you, most of them discontent themselves, there is no right way to make this journey. There is just your way. For me the best way has been just to let life take me where it wanted and for some reason it wanted me solo. And, ever since I gave up fighting it, it’s been a wonderful life.

©Kinsey Barnard Photography