Monday, February 18, 2008

Painting With A Camera


In the scheme of things what I am trying to accomplish with my camera is to create photographs that more closely resemble paintings, at least in my minds eye.

Since I was a kid I wanted to be an artist. I simply adore color and design. But, try as I might I simply had no talent with paintbrush or pencil. Then, some thirty five years ago, I was introduced to the camera at college where I took several courses. There was no looking back. I had found my Muse.

I was back at my alma mater, Cal Poly, this past week as a guest speaker. There have been many changes after all this time but the most endearing change was that photography, which was in the Journalism Department, is now where it belongs in the Art Department.

So, I think it was only fitting that I should be able to shoot what I think is a classic example of what I mean by "camera painting". I captured the above image at Morro Bay harbor. It is of kayaks reflecting in the water. To me it looks more like a painting than a photograph.

Of course, with Photoshop or other digital manipulation software you can create just about anything you want. In my work, I choose to except the challenge of doing it without "manipulation". Oh, yes, I do tinker sometimes but no more than you would or could in a traditional darkroom. My choice is in no way meant to be judgmental of other ways of doing things. I've seen some very beautiful creations using digital manipulation. It's simply my way.

This then is my painting Kayak Fantasy

©Kinsey Barnard Photography