Tuesday, September 1, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON HUNTING THE GREY WOLF IN MONTANA




Starting September first wolf hunting will be open in Idaho and on the fifteenth it will begin in Montana. As one might expect, there is a great controversy as to the wisdom of removing the grey wolf from the endangered species list. I’m afraid I must come down on the side of the environmental groups that wish to stop the hunt. I doubt they will prevail but I’m with them in spirit.

I am a nature and wildlife photographer. I hunt exclusively with a camera. It wasn’t always that way. I was raised on a ranch in California and got my first rifle, a Daisy BB gun when I was about seven years old an I thought hunting was the coolest thing in the world. I shot little critters with gusto and was pleased as punch with myself. As I grew up so did my hit list, ultimately shooting big game in Kenya. I think a lot of it had to do with attempting to garner my father’s approval. In any event, I did a lot of hunting and observing of hunters so I know of what I speak.

What eventually finished me on hunting was the fact that I no longer had blood lust. Most hunting has no heart. It has no decency. It is all about ego and making hunters feel somehow superior that they were able to spill the blood of some poor creature that happened into their scope. Hunting season, in my opinion, brings out the worst in people. It sickened me to the point that I said no more. I cannot be a part of this barbaric ritual.

Yes, some people really do need to hunt for food, especially here in Montana. But, I don’t know of anyone who eats wolf. No, the wolves will die so some hunter can belly up to the bar and brag of his prowess. He’ll have it mounted in some way so that he can marvel at his own wonderfulness.

Native Americans had it right. They did need to kill to survive but they understood that the taking of animals came with a responsibility and reverence. They paid homage to what they killed and they only took what they needed. Then the white man came and nearly wiped out every living thing on the continent including the Indians.

But, like everything else, it is all about the money. Last week our governor Schweitzer was photographed at his local gun store buying his licenses. The story pointing out that hunting season puts over three hundred million dollars in the state coffer, the governor imploring people to get out there and hunt. I happen to like Schweitzer very much and think he has been an excellent governor even though I am not of his party. I simply use this incident to illustrate my point.

Wildlife management is a necessary evil. It is a very delicate balancing act. But, it’s also very political and politics sully everything no matter how well intentioned. Unfortunately, environmental groups are not much different when it comes to politics, which is why I do not affiliate myself with any of them and believe me I have tried.

Don’t get me wrong. I believe in the right to bear arms. I carry a .357 on my belt when I go into the wilderness and I would use it if it were a matter of life or death. But, to kill these wonderful, spiritual creatures for fun, it just proves we haven’t evolved nearly as far as we think we have.

My heart is heavy and I will shed a tear for those wolves that will die for no other purpose than to serve human egos, needs and wants.

©Kinsey Barnard